Monday, May 20, 2013

Tribute To Mom


The word Mom evokes very strong feelings in all of us. The word is a recent development since we mostly refer to mothers as “Aai”, “Mummy”, “Mumma”, “Amma”, etc.

How can you write a tribute to someone who carried you in her womb for 9 whole months; who gave birth to you and has been taking care of you ever since? Elizabeth Stone once said, “Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”

When we are infants and kids, we are entirely dependent on our mothers for everything and anything. As we grow into teenagers, we are embarrassed about her in front of our friends. As young adults, we confide in her about our troubles and desires and once we become mothers ourselves, we understand her travails.

According to me, the best tribute for mom would be to imbibe and live by the values she has taught us. Most of these are not by words alone but by actions. For instance, my mom is the world’s friendliest and most helpful person. And the best part is she helps others without ever being asked to.

I try and emulate that in my day-to-day living. I try and help others without their ever asking me to. I do it because it gives me great pleasure to do so.

Another thing that I wish to imbibe from my mother is her patience and tolerance. She always gives others the benefit of doubt and is a very patient woman; something I find extremely difficult to do.

Also, she is one of the most positive persons I know. Come what may, she is never scared and always willing to face whatever challenge life has to offer.

My tribute to her would be to live by the points which I find attractive in her.

Some people feel I look like her; others feel my voice resembles her. While these thrill me no doubt, I would find that my life has been truly worthwhile when someone says to me, “Your actions and behaviours are exactly like your mother’s.”

‘I am writing a Tribute to Mom in association with Parentous.com.‘

No comments: