Monday, September 09, 2013

Reminiscing about Jaipur

Call it the Shuddh Desi Romance Effect! Watching the film yesterday made me reminisce about my first and only visit (yet) to the Pink City - Jaipur. Some of what I captured there features below.



Any visit to Jaipur is incomplete without a visit to the Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds) built in 1798 by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh. Climb its five stories and listen to the recorded explanations provided by Jaipur tourism in the form of an audio to better appreciate the structure. I personally loved the architecture and the intricate work on each of the windows :)



Next up - the Amer Fort built by Raja Man Singh I. Be prepared to trek up a long way to reach the top of the Fort. But believe me it will be worth it. Take along a guide, if you must, or at least a booklet detailing the various locations inside the fort.



Jal Mahal (Water Palace) situated in the middle of the Man Sagar Lake was, unfortunately, not accessible at the time I visited (April-2012). But one could appreciate its beauty from afar. [The beginning of the 'Gulabi' song in Shuddh Desi Romance has been shot along the promenade from which the palace can be viewed.]





And no visit to Jaipur can be complete without indulging in a bit of retail therapy - shopping for the traditional Bandhani clothes and the Lac bangles :)

No comments: